Whether you appreciate winter or prefer the warmer months in Tuscaloosa, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that should be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it needs to be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can arrange temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The team at KDM Service Corporation can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give KDM Service Corporation in Tuscaloosa a call to get started. Give us a shout at 205-208-8090 or schedule an appointment with us online.