Spring is in the air here in Tuscaloosa and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The KDM Service Corporation team has some tips that will help keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home appear as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to correspond with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your awesome vacation on social media, but try to put it off until after you are back to post photos of your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as delighted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to save some energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give KDM Service Corporation in Tuscaloosa a call at 205-208-8090.