According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to reach out to KDM Service Corporation in Tuscaloosa about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the experts at KDM Service Corporation. A yearly inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Inspecting your system regularly and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clean.
More ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and put in new filters when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Tuscaloosa home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at KDM Service Corporation at 205-208-8090 or schedule an appointment online.